Sparinvest is a signatory of the United Nations Principles for Responsible Investment. We are responsible by nature - meaning that from a risk management perspective, we have always viewed analysis of environmental, social and governance issues as best practice.
- We signed the UN Principles for Responsible Investments in 2009.
- ESG risk analysis is now formally integrated in the investment process across all strategies and asset classes.
- This acts as a risk management tool to minimize investor tail risk arising from sub-optimal environmental or social behavior.
- We seek to influence the companies we invest in towards a higher degree of responsibility.
- We exercise active ownership through dialogue and voting.
- We look for strong and reliable governance at a country level, at a corporate level and at an individual security level. (For example we look for bonds with strong debt governance in place to protect bondholders).
- We believe in engagement when positive outcomes are realistic.
As the Nobel Prize winner Paul Samuelson said:
“Investing should be dull, like watching paint dry or grass grow”